Monday, September 3, 2012

Game of Thrones

Game Over

I've preached a lot of series over my 12 plus years as a pastor but I don't think I ever left any of them unfinished. "Game of Thrones" is the exception and here's the problem with that...

You see, if one decides to undertake a study of the great book of Ecclesiastes, the only thing that would be worse than not reading the book at all, would be to study it right through to chapter 11 but skip chapter 12.

Why?

Because so much of Solomon's godly wisdom is woven together with his extremely flawed, earthly wisdom in the first 11 chapters. In fact, these first 11 chapters have to be approached like ancient Israelites went about harvesting wheat. What they would do is throw the wheat up in the air and allow the breezes to carry away the chaff. What fell to the threshing floor would be the grain they were really after. In the first 11 chapters Solomon almost seems schizophrenic as he shifts back and forth between spiritual thinking and carnal thinking. Chapter 12, however, leaves the double-minded thinking behind and sees an end to the grand experiment--the game of thrones ends and answers and freedom await all those finally ready to live a life pleasing to God.

So, hopefully my readers can see why I simply could not leave my last series ever at Southbrook Church "open-ended."

Stick with me then, for this 4 part series intended to close the book on one of my favorite series ever, "Game of Thrones."

2 comments:

  1. Hey Pastor Rob, just want to say we love you and are keeping your next steps in our prayers. We attended Southbrook for many years, then we moved out west towards your old stomping grounds a couple months ago.

    I've been keeping up with your series since we moved and I'm looking forward to chapter 12 . Hoping to hear a little punch'em in the throat passion!

    I feel a little out of the loop in what has recently happened . But I know that God has his hand on you, and we are looking forward to how God is going to use you next.

    ReplyDelete